CarMax Basketball League Intern
The CarMax Foundation is seeking a part-time intern to provide administrative and on-site support for the CarMax Summer Basketball League in Richmond, Virginia. The position is available over the summer from late-May through mid-August (12 weeks), approximately 30 hours per week, and requires flexibility in location between the CarMax Home Office, Pine Camp Arts and Community Center, and various locations in the City of Richmond.
What is CarMax?
• A great place to work. CarMax has nearly 25,000 associates nationwide and for 14 consecutive years has been named as one of the FORTUNE 100 Best Companies to Work For®:. Our fun and casual environment includes perks like an on-campus fitness center and cafeteria. We built our company around a set of values that clearly set us apart: respect, giving back to communities, and delivering on our promises. We emphasize integrity, a commitment to care for people first, and always do the right thing.
• CarMax revolutionized the auto industry by delivering the honest, transparent and high-integrity car buying experience customers want and deserve. For more than 25 years, CarMax has made car buying more ethical, fair and stress-free by offering a no-haggle, no-hassle experience and an incredible selection of vehicles. More info at www.carmax.com.
What is The CarMax Foundation?
• A community supporter. The CarMax Foundation was established in 2003 to support the communities where our Associates live and work, by providing volunteers, awarding grants, and matching Associate gifts of time or money.
• The financial supporter of the Summer Basketball League at Pine Camp. For more than a decade The CarMax Foundation has partnered with the Richmond Department of Parks, Recreation, and Community Facilities to host an annual Summer Basketball League. The Foundation provides funding to make it possible for Richmond-area children ages 11 to 17 to play organized basketball in a safe place. This League gives children the opportunity to build relationships and develop leadership skills through teamwork and fun.
What will the CarMax Foundation Intern do?
• Work with a variety of professionals. The CarMax Foundation intern will work with The CarMax Foundation’s staff, CarMax associates, and employees of the City of Richmond to assist with the administration of the Summer Basketball League.
• Provide on-site support in a variety of work environments. The intern will split his or her time between the CarMax Home Office, the Pine Camp Arts and Community Center in the north side of Richmond, and in meetings with League Directors and City employees.
• The intern role includes:
• Assisting with CarMax Foundation programming, such as processing Volunteer Team-Builder and Matching Gifts grants
• Assisting with basketball pre/post game setup; scorekeeping during the game; etc.
• Ordering and distributing uniforms and other equipment
• Budget and expense management
• Managing vendor relationships
• Attending basketball planning meetings
• Planning kick off and end of season championship event logistics
• Assisting with special projects as needed
• The intern must be legally authorized to work for any U.S. employer on a full-time basis without the need for sponsorship now or in the future.
• This internship is offered from late-May through mid-August (12 weeks)
• Approximately 30 hours per week required
• It is expected that half of the hours would be on-site at the Basketball League at Pine Camp in Richmond’s north side; otherwise at the CarMax Home Office located at 12800 Tuckahoe Creek Parkway, Richmond, Virginia or in the City of Richmond for meetings
What are some of the characteristics of an ideal candidate?
• Experience with athletic event management and/or participation
• Ability to work well with others in a professional workplace
• Ability to adapt to a changing, flexible schedule in a variety of locations
• Diligence in completing tasks
• Ability to make sound judgments
• Dependability in terms of attendance, meeting deadlines and punctuality
• Ability to quickly learn tasks assigned and contribute to a team
• Positive and professional attitude at all times